Welcome!

We at Counseling & Enrichment are delighted to bring to you a combination of professional articles as well as personal experience in blog form. We look forward to getting to know eacy of you!


Friday, December 2, 2011

Gratitude for this marathon I'm running: Brenda Nelson

Raising kids with RAD is a marathon for sure. Over Thanksgiving I ran in the 5 mile Turkey Trot here in town with 3 of my kids. 5 miles is a marathon for me. But it does not come close to the marathon parenting we are all living. There were no times when I thought "I can't do this any more." There were no times when I felt alone or misunderstood. Physical hurt from running is preferable to the emotional pain I have at times felt over the years.

We have one left at home folks.

So first I want to offer encouragement. There IS light at the end of the tunnel. All those things I feared for my kids... all the "What ifs". None of them have happened. Everyone is living safely and on their own except the youngest who is still in high school. He still has his inner battles, but I will tell you having one child with RAD at home is bucket loads easier than having two!

Secondly, I would never have begun this new adventure, this new career, as a therapist if it weren't for my kids.  They helped me learn a lot about myself. I CAN do what I set out to do. I have learned about how to parent my kids and I enjoy sharing that information with others. There is hope.  So if you are still dug in deep in the midst of RAD....I hope you find hope today.  You have reason too.  Never, never, never quit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment or question?